Monday 2 June 2008

GETTING BACK TO WHERE I BEGAN


I checked thoroughly the room and my eyes inspected every nook and corner assuring me that there is nothing left behind. Before leaving I turned once to have the last glance at the room where I had spent my last two months during my summer internship. A feeling swept across-"I wont be here again." It's kind of very natural to me to have an attachment to a place where ive spent my good and bad times all together. This time its MDI room no. 130. Today I did the shifting of my stuff to room 336. This is because they had to white wash the room for the new batch coming to the college.
While gathering my stuff from the cupboard I found things which I had once lost and then forgotten long before I could have felt the need of it. All kind of useful and useless things were found, some lying under my bed some in the uppermost lost corner of the almira. Some I had to throw away and leave as it is at there place of dwelling. A broken pencil which I used once to write a note, some printed pages that I thought once would help me in my project. A spotlessly clean and ironed white handkerchief, found under the piles of clothes. I had been using another pair and it never came to me that I was having a new one also. Few tattered pages found in the drawer of the study table which I used not for studying but to dry my clothes on and spill my stuff when I used to come from the office. Few toffees found lying here and there some of which I had bought from sharma ji and some of it I had got from my friends here. I pondered for a while while looking at the three broken locks which were lying behind the door(will soon share the funny story related to it). I smiled for a moment on my stupidity because of which they were there. Poor creatures- thought I- I felt sorry for there preset state, they could have been at a better place , might be guarding someone's precious belongings. But there fate was written differently. Then I thought- At least they had a better ending than there counter parts- the keys which ended up in the w.c...
Other rooms were already vacant and the painting work was going on in it. Most of the inhabitants had left for there home or for a trip with friends since there internship had finished last friday. I was the last person to shift since last night I was out to meet my brother who was staying in Gurgaon for the past 1 month.
The painter asked for confirmation by asking me "Room khali ho gaya?" so that he could proceed with his usual painting task. I replied "no"... "give me a minute". I took the last few things like a pair of shoes, the comb, shirt from the hangers. Then I turned to the painter and said-"Room khali ho gaya bhaiya." I knew that some things must be left behind so that one can get thing which are better. So that one can keep moving for a brighter future ahead. Still the past attachment restrained from leaving.
The nostalgia still remains though it will fade out once I have a new place to be in and to cherish my good and bad times. A place where I can enjoy every moment as and when I like, a place which will be very difficult for me to leave once I am there. Where my friends are and I believe that they are waiting. Its my college IMI. Waiting eagerly to come back to my land which I once deserted two months back yet again for better and brighter things to achieve. I am coming.

3 comments:

Ronald Weasley said...

My favouritEST post so far!!
Sumeet, u're just growing by leaps and bounds as a writer!
and yeah... im sure most of us can relate to the attachment to one's place of dwelling- no matter how brief the period .. and yeah.. we do move on ... from times- good or bad ...
what's the story of the locks and keys?? :D
realllly liked this one .. waiting for the story next :D
cheers

Meggs said...

hey,
i just wanna give u a hug after this post... (not that i didnt want to before....whatever..)
tho, i heard the story abt the keys n the pot...waiting for ur added mirchila version of it.. :D
bt m happy u r cuming back and we all shall b united again...
cheers
and welcome home brother.

Unknown said...

@ Ron thanks for those nice words,,I m feeling like-'wow':)
Uve given an additional boost for me to write even better....
@Megs and ron,,,plz dont ask me to write bout th story of the locks and the keys,,it is pathetic. Will tell in private,,i think that is better. Though ive written some lines in this blog...
Megs ill take ur hug once I m back,,chochueeeet.
Ur comments will always be appreciated,,,thank u sooooomuchhhh.